Millions of Americans with mental illness are in jail and away from loved ones as a result of not getting the treatment they need. Tell Your Senators To Invest In Treatment, Not Jail!
Valentine’s Day brings to mind being with the people you love. Unfortunately, millions of Americans with mental illness will be in jail and away from loved ones because they did not get the treatment they need when they needed it.
Your advocacy can help change this.
Ask your U.S. Senators to co-sponsor S. 2002, the Mental Health and Safe Communities Act, which will help connect people with treatment, not jail. S. 2002 will help through:
• Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) programs for first responders to people in crisis
• Specialized mental health and drug courts
• Forensic Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) programs
• Improving treatment in correctional facilities
• Data collection on interactions between people with mental illness and the criminal justice system, including those killed or seriously injured in confrontations with police.
Please visit http://www.nami.org/advocacy and see how you can make a difference!